[squeakland] Where should I edit the Playfield INFO?

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 22:25:49 EST 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 11:31:29 pm Steve Thomas wrote:
>    - Would this term survive a UI facelift?
>    Ie: if the User Interface were to change (saw some emails about this)
>    would the terms still work? This could test if we are describing generic
>    functionality decoupled from the underlying UI and implementation
>  artifacts.
I would think so. After all, the target audience for Etoys are kids. These
terms are metaphors for what goes on inside the machine. Any deviation could
be considered a bug.

>  - Would Tim's daughter (or any other young one) be able to
>  understand what it meant?
I will let Tim answer that :-). I help out rural school kids (non-English) use
Etoys and the suggestions emerged from that experience. Kids in 9-12 age group
are just transitioning between concrete to abstract. For most part, they can
figure out stuff by playing with it. However, there will always be a  need for
adult assistance in interpreting metaphors and action words to suit local
sentiments.

Subbu