[squeakland] Re: How do you measure Etoys success?

teefal timothy at squeakland.org
Fri Jul 10 08:09:09 EDT 2009

We're currently designing the new Squeakland course, which includes three units on mathematics.  Your UK breakdown (Visualizing, Representing, Generalizing, Analyzing, Systematic Approach) sounds very interesting.

By any chance would you be able to attend Squeakfest?  (http://squeakfest.org)

Tim

tvreeland wrote:
> The only way that I can think of to assess problem-solving skills in the way that's being discussed here is through long-term assessment.  A portfolio that allows students (and the teacher) to document their growth would (hopefully) show the improvements in critical thinking.  Anything that is more "long-term" process-oriented assessment screams out for portfolios.
>
> I teach in Massachusetts and have been looking closely at maths curriculum in the UK.  They break down problem-solving into various stages including: Visualizing, Representing, Generalizing, Analyzing, Systematic Approach, etc.  I am working on designing a number of units, each centered around one of those topics.  Portfolios will be the main form of summative assessment throughout each unit.
>
> Having found Squeak/Etoys, I'm currently not getting enough sleep because I'm thinking about ways to incorporate them into my practice.

(from forum)
http://squeakland.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9494#9494