[squeakland] Four year old and her older sister win a Squeak-based programming contest in Singapore

Harish Pillay 9v1hp h.pillay at ieee.org
Mon Jul 20 10:54:00 EDT 2009

I thought I should share this success story on this list.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_405695.html

I am a concil member of the Singapore IT Standards Committee[1] and an
organizer of the
code::XtremeApps[2] programming contest.  We have had a Junior
Category since 2008
and it is targeted at children 12 years and below.  Last year we used
Alice and this year
we used Squeak.  We had about 31 teams with about 80 children
participate in this contest.

The link above is about a two-person team (a 4 year old and her 8 year
old sister) who
wrote an application on healthy lifestyle focusing on anti-smoking messages.

Thanks.

[1] http://www.itsc.org.sg
[2] http://www.itsc.org.sg/codeXtremeApps2009.html
--
Harish Pillay h.pillay at ieee.org gpg id: 746809E3
fingerprint: F7F5 5CCD 25B9 FC25 303E 3DA2 0F80 27DB 7468 09E3