[squeakland] Magic in the skies

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 05:47:06 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 22 Jul 2009 1:54:50 pm David Corking wrote:
> K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> > It
> > is best played with the orb pointed towards the Sun (outdoors is best,
> > through a window is better).
>
> I don't understand.
The project tries to model what is going on in the skies. Children can
appreciate the connection better with the real stuff before them. Sunrise and
Sunset are the best times. Stellarium (stellarium.org) is a good substitute
for indoor use for those not in tropics.
> > I found this "story" to be quite superior to many textbook descriptions
> > of this grand event.
> Absolutely.  Did the student make it with the intention of teaching
> younger students?
No. I had just introduced Squeak as an 'idea recorder' and the project was an
impulsive, inspired work, a story with a 'magic'. It takes very little
'training' to get a child to started on Squeak with this approach.

> It is frustrating that when the user clicks on the Sun, it moves to
> the front.  Does Etoys have a way to lock it to the back, or will most
> 10 year olds be quick enough to find the invisible ellipse (Moon) and
> bring that back to the front?
Moving objects back and front to recognize occlusion is part of unraveling the
magic. Turn on 'resist being picked up' option for Sun/Moon, if you feel it
necessary.

BTW, I have learnt to treat projects like these as opinions - never step-in to
'correct' or 'enhance' it. But do take note of new aspects to introduce next
time the author seeks help.

Subbu