[squeakland] Magic in the skies

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 10:41:13 EDT 2009

On Thursday 23 Jul 2009 4:10:28 pm Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> > BTW, I have learnt to treat projects like these as opinions - never
> > step-in to 'correct' or 'enhance' it. But do take note of new aspects to
> > introduce next time the author seeks help.
>
> What do you mean exactly?
I used the word opinion in its sense of "what one thinks". When children start
using Etoys to record their ideas initially, they may commit errors or
omissions. Many of these will be corrected by themselves during the course of
the project. But, if someone watching over the shoulder attempts to point out
these errors or offers better ways of doing things, they lose track of their
thoughts. Some even get so disturbed that they may abandon further work on the
project. It is no longer their 'idea', it is now the supervisor's idea.

A second observation is that the 'supervisor' often misjudges the purpose of
the project. In this case, the child was using Etoys to position some mental
gears (vague ideas) in place. As soon as the gears clicked, there was no
further interest in "polishing" it for public consumption. So there was no
point in offering help to enhance it.

I only offer help when they approach me with "how do I.." (direct) or watch me
working at the computer (indirect).

BTW, I am not a school teacher, just a community volunteer. I posted this
project just to get discussion going around the *effect* of Etoys on learners.

Subbu