[squeakland] Re: EToys will not start in Xbuntu 9.10

Bert bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Jul 26 10:21:20 EDT 2009

BelleChat wrote:
> Well, I am probably not the first to ask this, but I will anyways.
>
> I've installed EToys and Squeak in a variety of ways.
>
> apt-get
> ubuntu package manager.
>
> A new applications entry is created in the pull down menu. This is called Education. WIthin it lives Squeak and Etoys.
>
> I can start Squeak by clicking on the Squeak (mouse) icon. However, I'll try to start Etoys afterwards with no luck. Nothing. There doesn't even seem to be a PID chage. It's if as nothing has changed.
>
> I've also tried starting just by clicking on squeak with no luck.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Lee

This sounds like a known bug in the Ubuntu packages: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/etoys/+bug/301190
On that page some workarounds are mentioned. But we (the Squeakland developers) cannot do much about packaging bugs. It may be helpful if you comment on that distro bug page, just to let the maintainers know people are interested in getting this fixed.

Until the Ubuntu packages are fixed you might try our DEB: http://squeakland.org/download/
Uninstall the distro packages and install the Squeakland one.

Alternatively, we are working on a version of Etoys that does not require installation at all but runs directly from a USB flash memory stick. We will have a beta release soonish, an alpha version is at http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/Etoys+To+Go The only drawback will be that this does not provide the web browser plugin.

- Bert -

(from forum)
http://squeakland.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9761#9761