[Squeakland] Download location for Etoys 4.0 image ?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Jun 15 13:49:23 PDT 2009

On 15.06.2009, at 22:17, David Corking wrote:

> Can you suggest a place where I can download the Etoys 4.0 2206 image,
> please? (I don't want to download the whole of Sugar: just the image
> and changes)

The latest Sugar Etoys test image is at

http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip

You can see what's new at

http://etoys.laptop.org/src/NEWS

> I couldn't spot it on the sugarlabs or squeakland sites, but maybe I
> didn't look carefully enough.

We will have a new Squeakland release based on 4.0 this summer. Betas
should start to be available soon on the Squeakland site.

Note that despite of the major version change, from a user's point of
view 4.0 will not be much different from 3.0. The new version number
signifies a change in license (now fully under a Free Software
license, namely MIT+Apache) and a change in leadership (the Squeakland
Foundation is taking over from Viewpoints Research). Of course there
will be bug fixes and maybe some new niceties but no major new features.

> The http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Releases/Sucrose/0.84/Etoys
> suggests that 4.0.2206 is an official release for end users.  Do I
> understand that page correctly?

Well, these are obviously developer pages. Sugar 1.0 will be the
actual release for end users. We consider the Etoys version in Sugar
stable and usable, but it's not yet "official". Preliminary releases
are at

http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/etoys/

End users on Linux should use the version included in their Linux
distribution if it is available, otherwise the download at
squeakland.org is what we recommend everyone to use.

> Have there been any updates to the Linux VM since Etoys 3.0?

Yes.

- Bert -