[Squeakland] painting with Etoys

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 08:28:49 PST 2009

On Sunday 01 Mar 2009 6:49:47 pm Rita Freudenberg wrote:
> That reminds me of a discussion about lowering the threshold into
> Etoys by using it as a painting tool. I think, Yoshiki answered a
> question about that. I'm not sure on which mailing list this
> discussion took place. But nevertheless I think it is a very
> interesting thought to have an Etoys version that maybe starts with
> the paint tool open?
The paint tool interface is complicated for children who are not yet
functionally literate in the interface language. Artpad painter
(artpad.art.com/artpad/painter) does a better job in introducing painting to
young kids.

BTW, painting is not required to start composing etoys. The supplies bin
already has objects like Ellipse, Stars and Rectangles that can be put to
good use (e.g. http://community.ofset.org/index.php/Art_et_Squeak).

Subbu