[Squeakland] painting with Etoys

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Mar 2 10:05:07 PST 2009

At Sun, 1 Mar 2009 14:19:47 +0100,
Rita Freudenberg wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm just reading a thread on the sugar labs mailing list about paint
> programs on the XO. Caroline Meeks is requesting a tool like Kid Pix
> or Tux Paint on the XO, based on her experiences on a Preschool in
> Boston.
>
> That reminds me of a discussion about lowering the threshold into
> Etoys by using it as a painting tool. I think, Yoshiki answered a
> question about that. I'm not sure on which mailing list this
> discussion took place. But nevertheless I think it is a very
> interesting thought to have an Etoys version that maybe starts with
> the paint tool open? I have seen children drawing happily with Etoys
> and even remember Bert doing a nice project for our kids: he just put
> a holder on the screen and prepared an animation script. The kids
> could draw whatever they wanted and put their drawings in the holder,
> thus changing the animation. They did that on my computer, but each of
> them had it's own flap, where they stored their drawings. They did
> that while I was away and showed it to me when I came back. It was so
> lovely! (And I really liked to look in their flaps, seeing all the
> objects floating around like the toys in their kid's room:)

Somehow it was hard to lookup but here it is:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/etoys/2008-November/002772.html

Adding Journal support etc., and polishing it up an it could be something.

However, the above test is tied to the existing paint tool and it
cannot overcome the downside of it.  A skelton paint widget and if
rest of parts are done in Etoys scripts, then making customized
versions would be much easier.  Abe-san and Takashi and others used to
make such bare-born versions so it might be worth to dig them up.

-- Yoshiki