[Squeakland] hello from Porto Alegre

Marta Voelcker marta at pensamentodigital.org.br
Sun Mar 8 12:43:53 PDT 2009

Hello all!

 =

Summer is gone, carnival  is over, local schools and universities are
finally  back to activity. It is time to evolve with planning for Squeakfest
Brasil.

We are pleased to announce that the School of Education at UFRGS is going to
host Sqeuakfest Brasil. They will let us use their facilities without
charging us ( cost zero) and that will make possible to have registrations
for teachers and students at a symbolic fee ( if not free).

 =

During this first week of activities  we  created a local  committee to plan
Sqeuakfest, it is composed by  reps from Cognitive Studies Lab from
Psychology ( the research group working with XOs at Luciana de Abreu =96 Br=
uno
Sperb, teachers  from the School of Education =96 Rosane Aragon and Paulo
Slomp and the director from Escola de Aplica=E7=E3o (an elementary and midd=
le
school ran by the university) =96 Edson Lindner. Local  Committee=B4s first
meeting will happen this week and I would like to hear  your suggestions and
plans to share with them.

 =

The idea is to have a two days conference using an auditorium at  ground
level and some more classrooms to hold hands on workshops with laptops.
Activities conducted in the auditorium will have translation service (
English =96 Portuguese and vice versa)  volunteers will help English speaki=
ng
people to participate in workshops conducted in the classrooms(help with
translation).  We assume that Spanish speakers will be ok with Portuguese (
both languages are pretty similar).

 =

This week we will discuss about the call for
presentations/workshops/activities to be conducted with or without laptops.
And for that I would like your suggestions. We can make a call for
presentation very open ( just explaining that laptops will be available) or
we can create some types of activities=85 or focus in different audience =
=96 =

We plan to have at least one workshop conducted from children (from Luciana
de Abreu School) to other children.  =

Workshops or activities  could be tagged by target audience: undergrad
students ( education, psychology, computer science); researchers in IT for
Ed; teachers; parents and children=85

 =

 =

There is no wire less internet in those rooms, we can ask the university to
install it,  but is that good?  Maybe without internet the audience will
better keep the focus on e-toys ?

 =

For those that would not be able to make to Porto Alegre for this first
Squeakfest Brasil we will try to have on line transmission for the
activities in the auditorium.

 =

looking forward to hear your ideas,

 =