[squeakland] text conversation in etoys

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Nov 17 13:33:41 EST 2009

  Hi, Bill,

> I'm trying to setup a text based dialogue b/w 2 objects
>
> I dragged out two Text objects from Supplies, named them first and second
>
> The best I can do is write a series of scripts for the Text objects, one script for each part of the conversation
>
> Then I made a clock with a time variable and setting the ticker to one per second
>
> Then write a controller script, using world
> Test: clock's time > 2
>  Yes: first do script1
> Test: clock's time > 4
>  Yes: second do script1
> Test: clock's time > 6
>  Yes: first do script 2
>
> Also made a reset script, using world
>
> Is there a better way?

  Another way is to put each part of conversation in a Holder (as
TextMorphs) and assign the phrase at the cursor to "first" and
"second".  See

http://dev.laptop.org/~yoshiki/etoys/Conversation.002.pr

(and at the showcase once it appears)

In this way, you don't have to edit the script at all when you want to
modify the conversation.

-- Yoshiki