[squeakland] translation priorities

Timothy Falconer timothy at squeakland.org
Tue Oct 13 10:40:46 EDT 2009

(addition below)

On Oct 13, 2009, at 10:07 AM, Timothy Falconer wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We're translating most of the Squeakland (Etoys) website right now
> into Spanish and Portuguese, with French soon to come.
>
> You can help too . . . simply claim your language and reply to this
> message (to avoid duplication), then read the following:
>
> http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-480
> http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-481
>

> We're also writing some grants now, some of which are aimed at our
> translation efforts.
>
> Given this, I'm trying to determine a good translation priority
> list, which shows the order of languages we want to focus on most.
> Yes, we'll get translations first from people that volunteer, and
> that won't always correspond to the priority list.  But our time
> (and future hopeful funds) are limited, so we'd like to concentrate
> on the languages that will reach the most new and existing Etoys
> users.
>
> To get the conversation started, here are the most popular languages
> in the world:
>
> 1. Chinese *
> 2. Spanish
> 3. English
> 4. Hindi *
> 5. Arabic *
> 6. Bengali *
> 7. Portuguese
> 8. Russian
> 9. Japanese
> 10. Korean
> 11. German
> 12. French
>
> (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers
> , and several other sources)
>
> Perhaps more telling is this list, which shows the number of
> wikipedia articles, which may be a better indicator of computer and
> web use:
>
> 1. English
> 2. French
> 3. German
> 4. Spanish
> 5. Portuguese
> 6. Italian
> 7. Japanese
> 8. Russian
> 9. Dutch
> 10. Polish
> 11. Chinese
> 12. Swedish
>
> (from http://s23.org/wikistats/wikipedias_html.php?sort=total_desc)
>

> More direct to Etoys is our new list of "Squeakers", which has a
> graph at the bottom that shows number of users by country:
>
> 1. United States (english/spanish)
> 2. Germany (german)
> 3. Uruguay (spanish)
> 4. Brazil (portuguese)
> 5. Canada (english/french)
> 6. Argentina (spanish)
> 7. Austria (german)
> 8. Spain (spanish)
> 9. Colombia (spanish)
> 10. Bolivia (spanish)
> 11. Japan (japanese)
> 12. Netherlands (dutch)
>
> (from http://squeakland.org/squeakers/ ... add your name and country!)
>

> Clearly, these languages merit special effort:

> [...]

Ah yes, forgot another criteria ... existing Etoys translations:

1. ENGLISH
2. Tamil
3. Sinhala
4. GERMAN
5. Pashto
6. Greek
7. Dari
8. SPANISH
9. Russian
10. Bengali
11. Mongolian
12. FRENCH
13. Turkish
14. Swedish
15. HAITIAN KREYOL
16. JAPANESE
17. Chinese
18. PORTUGUESE
19. Vietnamese
20. KOREAN
21. Urdu
22. ITALIAN
23. DUTCH
24. NEPALI
25. Slovak

(from http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/etoys/)

The capitalized ones are in my list of twelve.