[squeakland] The Squeakland Tally Contest (win an RC plane with video)

Timothy Falconer timothy at squeakland.org
Wed Oct 21 00:12:10 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

As we prepare for our two month Etoys publicity drive (starting
November 1st), I'd like to make things a little more interesting.

Let's have a contest.    The winner gets  a brand-new HobbyZone Super
Cub LP with a lightweight Fly Cam One attachable video camera, shipped
anywhere (that's legal) in the world.

I'm personally donating both.  The plane is very fun, and very easy to
fly. Also, if you win, you'll be able to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiNxzXixlOc

Here are the rules:

1. you must be 18 years or older to enter the contest, or have the
signature of a guardian or parent.  Proof will be required upon winning.

2. you must guess three tally totals as they will appear at midnight,
New Year's Eve, as the Times Square ball drops in New York City.

The tally totals are:

a. Squeakers (number of people that have signed the squeaker list)
b. Accounts (number of people that have signed up for a showcase
account)
c. Projects (number of publicly visible projects on the Showcase)

see: http://squeakland.org/tally

3. Lowest score wins.  To determine it, subtract your guesses from the
corresponding new year's value for each total, then add the absolute
value of the each difference.

Example:

squeakers ... joe's guess (5000) ... new year's value (4500) ... abs
diff (500)
accounts ... joe's guess (3000) ... new year's value (3500) ... abs
diff (500)
projects ... joes guess (1000) ... new year's value (7000) ... abs
diff (6000)
score = 7000

4. These bonuses will apply:

a. subtract 500 from your score if you're the last publicly visible
project in 2009
b. subtract 300 from your score if you're from the top NON-USA country
in the list at new year's
b. subtract 200 from your score if you're at the PURPLE level at new
year's
d. subtract 100 from your score if you're at the BLUE level at new
year's

see: http://squeakland.org/showcase/ranking.jsp

5. Initial guesses need to be emailed to me before November 1st starts
(midnight) in New York.

6. You'll be allowed three "mulligans" before December 1st where you
can change any one of your guesses (one per mulligan).

7. Each mulligan will enact a 100 point penalty, which will be added
to your final score.

8. Any obvious attempts at cheating will disqualify you.  (Adding
Squeakers or accounts yourself, reposting duplicate projects, etc.)

9. Disputes will be decided by me.  I'll try to be as fair as
possible, though I suspect some will see things differently.  My
plane, my call.

10. The winner will hopefully agree to send some fly-by video of a
"Squeak if you love Etoys" sign, that we'll send, which we'll later
use on the Squeakland website.

Anyway, I hope this remains friendly and fun.   The trick, of course,
is making good guesses.

A few hints . . .

* we currently average about 300 web visitors a day, some new, some
returning.  We've peaked at 6000 web visitors in a single day.

* the peak was because of a magazine article.   We *will* be seeking
multiple magazine articles and other forms of publicity during this
time.

* the addition of multiple languages on the website will greatly
increase our possible audience

* we will have "tell a friend" functionality to allow for some social
networking, including facebook, twitter, and blog buttons for
individual projects

* schools will create multiple accounts, usually in one shot (I just
now saw 14 accounts from the same school create accounts).

So ask yourself . . .

How many people do you think like Etoys in the world?

How many can we reach before the end of the year?

How many new people will we reach before the end of the year?

How many will create accounts, or share projects?

I've already made my three guesses (though I can't win), which will
remain private like everyone else's.   All will be revealed on New
Year's Day.

Have fun!

Tim

--