[squeakland] educational content mapping

Timothy Falconer timothy at squeakland.org
Tue Sep 1 05:35:25 EDT 2009

On Aug 31, 2009, at 2:36 PM, antonio wrote:

> Hello,
> The Public Education Departments are complaints from teachers about
> how to find digital educational materials that may concern them, so
> they try to unify criteria and establish standards for storage ...
> As far as I know there are two widely used standards: SCORM,
> cataloging more oriented to test-type material, yes/no exercises
> etc., and IMS (http://www.imsglobal.org/), much less "behaviorist".
> IMS Common Cartridge is basically a standard digital learning
> content that defines a usage profile of four existing specifications:

> 1 .- IEEE LOM (metadata)
> 2 .- IMS Content Packaging v1.2
> 3 .- IMS Question & Test Interoperability
> 4 .- IMS Web Authorization Service v1.0

> We're not talking about fun subjects at all, but in my opinion, to
> facilitate the integration of projects done in Squeak in these
> public servers is very important.
> European Community is trying this:
> http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/econtentplus/index_en.htm
> A little more:
> http://www2.sims.berkeley.edu/research/projects/how-much-info-2003/execsum.htm
>
> Of course, nor teacher neither children can fill a big questionnaire
> with dificult questions at save project moment, but this two
> materials (metadata packaging by code at save moment and the
> information introduced by the project's creator) could approach to
> IMS standard.

We have a page on our wiki called "curriculum mapping" here:

http://confluence.immuexa.com/display/sq/Curriculum+mapping

Can someone volunteer to extract outlines from IMS and others sources
and summarize on that page?  Feel free to restructure the page in any
way you like.

This would be a useful starting point for discussion.  I also know of
IB (International Baccalaureate).  I'm sure there are many others,
probably the UN, etc.

Take care,
Tim