[squeakland] Etoys documentation TOC

Rita Freudenberg rita at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Sep 4 05:13:19 EDT 2009

Timothy Falconer wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2009, at 7:23 AM, Timothy Falconer wrote:
>
>> On Sep 3, 2009, at 7:01 AM, Rita Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> as you all know we don't really have an Etoys documentation. So
>>> let's start writing it. As I wrote earlier I propose to use FLOSS
>>> Manuals. It is used by the olpc and sugar community for writing
>>> manuals and books. To get started we should have a TOC outline. Here
>>> are my suggestions:
>>>
>>> 1. Introduction (short description what etoys is about)
>>> 2. Getting started (technical description on how to install and
>>> start etoys on different operating systems)
>>> 3. User Interface (painting tools, halo, viewer ...)
>>> 4. Tiles (describing every available tile)
>>> 5. Objects (everything from the supplies bin and object catalogue,
>>> flaps)
>>>
>>> What am I missing? Of course we can have subchapters and also later
>>> add main chapters if we find out we need it. Here is the manual for
>>> TurtleArt so you can get the idea what our documentation could look
>>> like:
>>> http://en.flossmanuals.net/turtleart
>>>
>>> What do you think? If we come up with a TOC outline I can send it to
>>> Anne Gentle from FLOSS manuals to set it up and we can start writing:)
>>
>> It's a good list.  So this would be more of a reference manual than a
>> getting started guide?  (with tutorials)
Yes, a reference manual is what I had in mind. I'm sorry for not making
that clear.

>> We could link back to the Etoys unit of the courseware for the
>> gentler intro.
>
> Also, just want to highlight that we actually do have some
> documentation (with even a big PDF):
>
> http://squeakland.org/tutorials/guides/
>
> Kathleen's work is concise and useful, and should be used where
> possible in the FLOSS version.
Definitely, I will not have the same things written again, but collect
it at one place. And since it is  a reference manual, it will be shorter
than other materials, but complete. As Bert pointed out "it defines the
boundary of what we consider officially supported, and what not."

Rita

--
Rita Freudenberg
FIN-ISG