[squeakland] creative commons on the showcase

Timothy Falconer timothy at squeakland.org
Tue Sep 8 11:46:54 EDT 2009

On Sep 8, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 08.09.2009, at 16:10, Timothy Falconer wrote:
>
>> I forgot about another field, and topic for discussion.  We also
>> have a "use creative commons" checkbox that can go in the account
>> profile.
>

> That is too simplified. "Use creative commons" doesn't mean
> anything. CC means "some rights reserved", so which one would you
> propose?

The checkbox on the signup form does link to the specific CC license,
as does the CC link at the bottom of every Squeakland page.  The
question is whether we link to this from the signup box within Etoys.

> We will have to put everything under *a* CC license, just to be
> explicit about which rights we give. But as you said we will have to
> decide if it's all under the same, or if there need to be options.
>
> For those who are not familiar with CC, please watch the short intro
> video at
>
> 	http://creativecommons.org/about/
>
> Personally I would put everything that is accessible to the public
> under the "Attribution-Share Alike" CC license just like the Scratch
> folks do (who for sure had a highly paid lawyer look at that):
>
> 	http://info.scratch.mit.edu/License_to_play
>
> No options is much simpler, and encourages contributions IMHO.

This can be debated.  For example, Kathleen Harness has said that she
cannot share projects under that license because of university concerns.

Tim