[squeakland] showcase task list

Timothy Falconer timothy at squeakland.org
Sat Sep 19 13:34:37 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

The last two weeks has certainly been a scramble, with an unusual
amount of mysterious problems.

I had to retrofit the main connection from Etoys to the showcase,
which disabled some things that were working before.

Here's a quick list of upcoming improvements:

* 1) RANKING SYSTEM - right now all shared projects are visible, but
early next week every project and comment will require a human to
approve it before the showcase will show anything.   The details for
how this moderation system will work will be described once it's
operational.  For now just know that the power to rank projects lies
with the community itself, based upon an automatic way of determining
individual effort and usefulness.

* 2) WRITE & DELETE PROTECTION - currently there's a way for people to
modify or delete others projects, not on the website itself or within
Etoys, but a super secret way we won't talk about here :)

* 3) PRIVATE AND GROUP ACCESS - the showcase allows individuals to
share projects privately, with either their friends, or with groups
that they're part of (classrooms, NGOs, etc).   Currently you need to
contact us to create a group, but even if you have a group created,
this special private and group access isn't wired up as of last week.

* 4) TELL A FRIEND ABOUT A PROJECT - you'll be able to add email
addresses to a website form, which will send an invitation to those
addresses to see your project.  Such people will have immediate
access, even before a public project is moderated by the rankers.  For
private projects, only friends and groups can see your projects.

* 5) MULTIPLE VERSIONS VISIBLE ON PROJECT PAGE - currently it shows
only your most recent version, though I plan to have a collapsable
list of earlier versions, any of which you can delete easily.

And a quick list of snags that should be quick fixes:

* Deleted projects come back to life in five minutes ... this should
be a very easy one

* Etoys 4 projects uploaded through the website currently don't read
in their Project Info (only the stuff on the web form is used)

* Clicking previous and next only work within the current page of ten
projects.  I'd like you to be able to keep clicking next to see all
projects.

Anyway, these should all be resolved before the final Etoys 4 release.

Take care,
Tim