[squeakland] Problems logging in to "My Squeakland" from Etoys

Peter Fraser pfraser at spatialmedia.com
Sun Apr 4 17:22:27 EDT 2010

Hello  (I'm Peter).

If this is the wrong forum, apologies    -please send me elsewhere.

I can't log in to "My Squeakland" from EToys. I get a dialog telling me
a 500 error occurred on the server.

Also, when this happens,  Etoys appears to get itself into a loop where
it pops up an error dialog, I hit OK  -it retries, displays the error
dialog, I hit OK -and on it goes until I close Etoys

Note: This is only a small wrinkle in my otherwise delightful experience
of Etoys since I downloaded it, a couple of weeks ago  :-)

Details

1. I can log into my account OK using the web interface (eg
http://squeakland.org/showcase/account/). I had some problems creating
the account (I was getting 500 errors that talked about "out of memory
exceptions" or thereabouts) but it came right the next day.

2. It has worked from Etoys (in the last few days, since I created my
account), and I have managed to upload and download projects.

3. I have tried various machines on various networks, with the same
result.  Occasionally I will be able to log in (apparently), but I won't
see any projects.

4.. I can't see a PeteF account in the list displayed in Etoys (but
presumably this is because I haven't published to the showcase).

5. I have tried both "Etoys to go" and (windows) installs. At one point,
the installed version would work  -but not the Etoys to go version.

6. [I have never worked with DAV so following is probably spurious] I'm
surprised by the double forward slash in the MKCOL path (in the trace
below). I'm also surprised the conversation starts with MKCOL

7. I have tried (the obligatory windows) reinstall, as well as removing
the Etoys data in "my documents"

8. Sometimes it feels like a client problem (otherwise everyone would be
having problems  -right?)  -but as per the trace below it is definitely
resulting in a server error   -so basically I'm confused.

Happy to sniff around further, if someone wants to point me at a good
place to sniff. I'm not a Smalltalker, but I could pretend...

Pete F

MKCOL /showcase/everyone/accounts//PeteF HTTP/1.1

Host: content.squeakland.org

Authorization: Basic [deleted by pete]

HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error