[squeakland] Etoys Challenge #1: Help 6th graders figure out for themselves how to derive the value of Pi

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire.fernandes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 03:00:17 EDT 2010

Given your example, it is a good use case for the Smalltalk DrGeo API to
construct programmatically sketches with circle and polygons.
See an example:
http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire/index.php?post/2010/07/08/Sierpinski-triangle

Compare to other interactive geometry software, DrGeo comes with some
user power tools as Smalltalk programmed sketch (bellow) and Smalltalk
scripting in live sketch.

Previous C++ version of DrGeo (1.1) was also enjoying these features,
with Scheme language, but the Smalltalk version brings an infinite
better user experience.

The whole documentation still need to be written.

Regarding use cases, I have seen math teachers using these programming
facilities to explore historical examples:
http://documentation.ofset.org/drgeo/es/drgenius_88.html
But so far, only a few use cases with learner in senior high school were
reported to me.

Hilaire