[squeakland] edu team meeting notes

Rita Freudenberg rita at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Aug 13 07:48:47 EDT 2010

From the last education team meeting Thursday, August 12:
Avigail reported from a workshop she did together with Kathleen Smith and Kathleen Harness. It went very well, the teachers were interested and worked long hours.
corr. from Avigail: The workshop I reported about was for high and middle school CS teachers, was organized by Prof. Lenny Pitt, Dr. Morten Lundsgaard, Kathleen Harness, Kathleen Smith and Avigail Snir. Became possible by a grant from GOOGLE.

Rita reported the recent news about planning a Squeakfest in Uruguay next year. Mariana already started talking to people. Now she needs a letter from Squeakland where we state what is special about Etoys, why it is important to have the event etc. The education team will start writing it. We also talked about ideas for online courses. We'll try to get funding for the development, it could be a joint effort with UNCW, EtoysIllinois, University Magdeburg, Uruguay, Brazil.

Then we talked about the upcoming Etoys release. We think we should not change the look of Etoys to indicate that we have a new version. We don't want to confuse users. It is sufficient to have the version info in the about flap.

We need to come up with a structure for a website for teachers, we need to define what should be on the first page, what comes next etc. We do already have a lot of material, we need to figure out how to present it better.

You can also find the notes from the last education team meeting here:

http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/2010/08/12/edu+team+meeting+August+12

Greetings,
Rita