[squeakland] [etoys-dev] (SQ-749) and Kathleen's question on "What do you mean by Artifacts?"

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Sun Aug 22 23:37:21 EDT 2010

Hi Alan,

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Alan Kay <alan.nemo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> A good slogan for teaching, pedagogy, and curriculum design is "When should
> it be easy, and when should it be hard?".

This, for me at least, is hard to figure out ahead of time when designing a
lesson. I am much better when I interact with the kids and can improvise on
the spot.

> The notion here is that for education to be transformative, you wind up as
> a different "better" person than you were, and this means that certain
> difficulties were very important to your learning -- the stuff that was
> "easy" you could already do (and some of the easy stuff is not what you want
> to aim at). Building knowledge and skills to get fluent at handling
> difficulties (and in some case rendering them non-difficult) is a key for
> much important learning.
>

> On the other hand, gratiutous non-productive difficulties are to be avoided
> because they generally both distract and occupy " thinking chunks" that one
> needs for the important stuff.
>
> (I don't recognize my quote that was paraphrased)

It comes from a video I found in the Bell Labs library around 84-86 (not
sure of video date). You were talking about User Interface design and my
biological memory recalls you refering to using a mouse and saying "If I can
do it in one click, I'll do it.  If it takes two clicks, I might do it. If
it takes three or more clicks, I probably won't do it". I have used and
attributed it to you a number of times since. If I am in error please let me
know and I will self correct.

I really could use Gorden Bell's E-Memory. Hopefully you are heeding his
advice and collecting your E-memory so that we may search and study it. One
way to do this is anytime you give an interview, presentation etc where it
is recorded, request a copy of the recording and all rights to distribute as
you see fit.  Also be sure they video your presentation and not just you so
we can see what you are referring to.  It would be nice if we had text
versions of those interviews. I am working on transcribing the interview you
gave at Natural math <http://mathfuture.wikispaces.com/Important+questions> and
its time consuming. I have a friend who works on Google speech recognition
software and would try and send him a copy, but Ellumintate doesn't seem to
have a way to extract the audio.

> Adults tend to be the biggest problems when trying to help children learn
> things. It's the adults who generally don't want to do the work and don't
> see many things as fun. Kids (and people in general) can spend a lot of time
> focussed and doing when they are having fun.

If not Adults, who? If the goal is transformation I see Adults as part of
the solution.  So does labeling them as part of the problem (which I am NOT
disagreeing with) help or hinder transformation?

> I ask this because I see a lot of teacher bashing which I believe hinders
our cause much more than helps it.

Another choice besides adults is older kids, I have seen this succesfully
used in Scouting and in a public speaking conference my kids attended this
past weekend. They tend to listen to older kids more and the older kids
realize the importance of fun. The key here, as with adults, is guidance and
training.

> Constructivism (one of many such terms I don't use because they have lost
> their meanings) doesn't mean discovery from scratch (this is a huge
> confusion many people have), but does mean "understand and clarifying by
> making a careful descriptive model".
>

> This can be done with English and writing (it is what descriptive,
> expositional, and argumentative writing are supposed to be about). It can be
> done with mathematics. It can be done in many cases with physical
> construction materials. And a lot can be done in terms of computer programs.

Thank you I really hadn't thought of this before and it is an excellent
point (ie: something I can use with my kids).

> I will look for ways my kids can learn this.

> I like the Montessori curriculum approach of making a carefully designed
> environment for the chilldren that allows choice on their part and allows
> limited the degrees of freedom on the educator's part.

The problem I struggle with is how to design the environment and what games,
playthinks, problems, etc to use.

> One of the best projects we've ever designed is the Galilean Gravity one --
> and it illustrates what you have to do with guidance on the one hand and
> space to play on the other to enormously raise the probability that most
> children will be able to see and understand what is going on without having
> to give them the "answer" to memorize.

I love that project and I find it extremely frustrating. Frustrating because
I really want to do it with my kids, but it is really really hard to do in
Etoys.  The hard part being importing the video. The reason for this I
believe is that the video player only supports MPEG.

> The idea that kids take their own videos and then analyze them is an
excellent approach. Avigail Snir had a wonderful example of using video at
Squeakfest.  But as I understand it, even she had a lot of problems trying
to convert the video into MPEG and even more frustrating is she is having
trouble sharing it with the world so other teachers could see it and be
inspired.

One of the keys in the early Montessori schools was the intense
> comprehensive training of the Montessori teachers -- and the lack of the
> equivalent of this in most of today's schools is a huge problem.

I have also been thinking about using scripts (the theatrical kind) and
cue's to look for with scripted responses as a way of teaching. Perhaps
Actors would be good teachers hmmmm need to flesh out the idea more.

> The scripts in Etoys are independent of the visible appearance of the
> object they are attached to (the objects' "costumes" can be changed at will
> -- and this is how "frame animation" is done in Etoys).

I'm not quite understanding what it is that you would like for teachers
> beyond a repository of projects with extensive notes about how they were
> made and how to make them.

A repository of projects is good, but I would add a repository of objects,
sets of objects and scripts. Ie: I think unit of "things you can
share/store/easily re-use" is too large. I write this then ask myself, why
do I feel this way?  I think it goes back to the point you verbalized much
better than me "It gets annoying after the first few times".  I may be
thinking of what you refer to later in the email as "packaging up" a
solution.

I would like to be able to re-use and share those solutions (especially
since Etoys lets me look inside and modify them). The ability to look inside
and modify them is why I would prefer "artifacts" (as discussed in previous
emails and built by Hilaire as part of iStoa) be created with scripting
tiles as opposed to doing so in squeak.  This would allow teacher to build a
set of virtual manipulatives that others could modify or just look inside
and figure out how they work. One response I received was that this would
not scale, but frankly I don't understand why not.

"Packaging a solution" would also let you develop a curriculum where kids
built their own tools (ex: a graphing tool) and re-use them in other
projects. The one tricky part of the graphing tool is labeling the number
lines (trying to align the text is hard, at least I have not found a simple
solution) so perhaps a number line object would be needed.

> If "learning by making" is a good idea, then shouldn't teachers learn new
> ideas about Etoys by making them (but with lots of guidance)?

Okay my turn to not quite understand: Yes I agree "learning by making"
is agood idea. But should teachers and learners have to make
everything from
first principles?  Who has the time?

Would teachers not benefit from using "great literture" created by people
who were PUFx's (ie: had a Profound Understanding of Fundamental <subject
matter>)?

> I have a friend at work who while at Stanford and did very well in Organic
Chemistry, he thought the reason he did so well was he had 7 or 8 core
concepts from which he could derive the rest.  He decided to try and teach
those concepts and when and how to use them to some of the other students to
see if they could use them and "transform".  It worked well and I think this
idea has some merit. Unfortunately he had a head injury and can't remember
them. My challenge is to find sets of core ideas and how to use them, then
figure out how to present them in an age appropriate manner.

I also think you made a good point in the Natural Math interview when you
mentioned Seymour Papert's comment that it doesn't much matter what
mathematics we teach them as long as they are learning to reason like a
mathematician.

On the other hand, there are any number of things in the Etoys design itself
> that could be vastly improved to help both adult and child learning, and
> also for them to make better extensions.

Yes, the question I am struggling with are which are the important ones
worth doing first. To think about that I am considering imposing upon myself
something similar to the Warren Buffet advise to "give myself a ticket with
only twenty slots in it so that you had twenty punches - representing all
the investments I could make in a lifetime". I think instead I will try and
limit myself to three requests for the rest of the year. Those who know me
know how hard it will be to impose that constraint. But one way would be
allow myself to discuss many possible improvement (which helps me think
about them) and then only pick three to request.

> For example, I do all my talk presentations using Etoys and I write scripts
> to sequence "builds" of additive visual material to the slide (Powerpoint
> has a feature for doing this that is more convenient for some goals and
> simply won't allow others). It is very instructive to do this by hand a few
> times, and then gets annoying.

Agreed.

> Etoys does not have a good extension mechanism for "packaging up" a
> solution to "slide builds" that can then be used as a feature. This is a
> real sin against our own precepts. The lack of it is due to EToys being
> thought of as temporary and of limited scope at Disney. It is terrible that
> we don't have it now.

I think Ricardo's GSoC Morph I/O may help solve at least part of the
problem.  You can save an object (including a playfield and its embedded
objects) in a file and import it later. I have used it a number of times and
find it very useful.

Why don't we do it now? Because we've been trying to move on to the next
> design since before OLPC came along. And so forth.

I look forward to seeing the next design (I have only caught glimpses from
what I have read on the VPRI site and reading into emails and
discussions). Is there a time frame when we can expect to see it?

All that said, I think the most important thing to work on now is great
content (projects, lesson plans, screencasts, etc.)

Many Cheers for all you have done and continue to do,