[squeakland] Teaching in digital society vs industrial society

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 08:41:40 EDT 2010

On Friday 27 Aug 2010 4:23:27 pm Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> Personally I have worked both in school and factory (when a teenager), I
> never thought the two were related nor common: in a factory it is noisy,
> it is stinking, boss are not particularly  friendly, they don't want
> what is good for you but only the job done. All the opposite a student
> find in school as today...
You cannot extend the observation of a single school to all the schools.

> It is easy to guess Toffler did not have this experience...
Toffler is right on the target with his observation when you consider schools at
large. In India, there are many alternative education systems, but by and
large, the state school systems are designed and administered centrally. Each
school is run like a factory with specific time slots for specific subjects
only. Teachers are hired, trained centrally and deployed across the state with
no consideration to local needs. So you find a good swimmer being posted to a
school in highlands! Lessons on desert plants go on during peak rainy season!
Teaching happens, but not learning. Budgeting is by inputs (buildings, dress,
desks and benches) and not outcomes (competencies). This whole system is being
challenged and reformed but it will take some time because the rot is broad
and deep.

There is one aspect where I wish schools behaved like factories - TQM. When a
student fails to complete 12 years of education, I wish the State really
throws all its resources to get him/her back on track and fixes the root cause.

Subbu