[squeakland] Re: squeakland Digest, Vol 82, Issue 2

kharness at illinois.edu kharness at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 2 07:30:46 EST 2010

Steve,
I don't know if you have had time to look at the projects on the EtoysIllinois web site. www.EtoysIllinois.org There are two collections of projects with lesson plans you may be interested in seeing. CS4K5 has a pinball game project/lesson as well as lessons for several other easy games and puzzles that I have used with young students. The dot to dot game is very easy and children enjoy making it and playing it long after the lesson is done. The Sudoku puzzles are also a project that has lasting interest.

You can see dozens of student examples of mazes, sudoku, tetrominoes, puzzles, and races that are tagged in the collection. There are student's books about science topics they were studying. The Counting Books were written by students to teach their younger brothers and sisters how to count and make delightful projects where students can apply the Etoys knowledge they have to meet the needs of younger students. There are over 800 projects that were made by students in the site that can be used as they are or can be taken apart to see how they work. None of the scripts are locked and I encourage students to take projects apart to learn from them.

The other set of lesson plans accompany the K-5 Technology Passport projects. Click on a project to select it and the lesson materials will be a link in the new window. These projects are aligned with grade level core curriculum standards. I live in Illinois and so used Illinois standards which closely follow the ones developed by NCTM, NSTA, NETS, and NCTM.

Many of Avigail Snir's projects include teaching materials within the project either in a book or a flap. If you use the Search tool in the site, her projects will be listed.
Regards,
Kathleen