[squeakland] Etoys on Sugar in the Classroom

kharness at illinois.edu kharness at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 9 08:38:31 EST 2010

Bert,
It is possible for very young students to use Etoys and to learn quite a lot. I have posted projects and lesson plans which I have used with K and 1st graders. Lynne May, let me know if I can help beyond this.

The projects are part of the set of CS4K5 materials I am writing and are posted at EtoysIllinois.org.  All of the projects assume 40 minutes of instruction once a week and are paced so that the projects will be finished by the end of an academic year. Very young students can't be hurried; that is the key to making sure they enjoy what they are learning. It is very easy to plan too large a project and then to push them forward too fast.

The example projects they look pretty simple to adult eyes but are solid accomplishments for children five or six years old.
Kathleen