[squeakland] Re:Etoys on Ubuntu: only kinda sorta works

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 3 21:03:08 EDT 2010

Hi rlo,

>rlo at anamorph.com rlo at anamorph.com
>Sat Jul 3 05:47:49 EDT 2010 wrote:
>

>Hi,
>
>I've installed eToys on Ubuntu and it starts up, but there are lots of
>flaws. In particular:
>
>* Clicking on almost any project in the Gallery brings up a dialog that says
>   "Project Not Found".
>
>* A few Gallery projects do open, but nothing appears in the main window.
>   Examples: "Steering the Car", "Car and Pen". The header appears with the
>   name of the project, but there's no content in the window.
>
>* The "Help" system is broken. Clicking "Help" brings up a dialog with choices
>   like "Navigator Bar", "Paint Tools", etc, but clicking on those buttons has
>   no effect.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
>Robert

I have been using Ubuntu 8.04 and downloaded an old etoys w/ plugin to that a while ago. Recently I upgraded some of my systems to 10.04 and downloaded etoys (and squeak etc.) fresh via the 10.04 distributions add/remove applications menu item.

I have the spirit of a bug tracker so I have noticed and tracked problems with both.

Which Ubuntu are you using?

10.04---

If you have recently downloaded from the 10.04 distribution then the plugin will not be present. The cure/workaround is to just download the project directly in the firefox browser. If the helpers have been set right the download will open the squeak vm which may give a choice of images to run. The projects will generally only work with the flavor of image they were saved with. I.E. you need to say Etoys when presented with the choice.

8.04 ---

In the last two days Ubuntu pushed an automatic upgrade to Firefox 3.6.6 through the 8.04 pipe. If you have accepted this update then the main problem with using plugins in firefox on 8.04 is now gone. Closing the firefox tab for the launched project will no longer shut down the entire browser. The tab now closes in a well behaved fashion. My 8.04 is still using an earlier version of the plugin.

Anyway if neither of these help, report your particulars. Then we will see what we will see.