[squeakland] [SoaS] [realness] Sugar On A Stick for Macintosh

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Sat Jul 24 16:54:41 EDT 2010

Carlos Rabassa wrote on Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:50:17 -0400

> Cannot Etoys To Go be expanded to offer the rest of the applications
> in the XO,  not just Etoys?

Squeak (and any systems built on top of it such as Etoys, Scratch,
Seaside, Croquet...) does not actually run on your computer and
operating system, but on an imaginary computer we call the Virtual
Machine. If you have a simulator for this VM which runs on your computer
and operating system, then you can have Squeak on it and all Squeak
applications. Etoys-to-go includes not only all the Squeak stuff, but
also three VM implementations: one for Windows, another for Mac OS X and
a third for Linux machines. So it won't work if you use OS/2 or Solaris
as your operating systems, but it would be trivial to include these
options in Etoys-to-go.

To have the equivalent funcionality for Sugar, you could have a
simulator for the PC (Qemu, Boochs and VirtualBox are a few of the
options) and include a file simulating a disk with Linux, Sugar and any
Sugar applications you might want as well as versions of the selected
simulator that run on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows. I don't see any
problems, but am not aware of anybody doing this now (early Sugar
releases did have disk images for Qemu, but you had to install and
configure the simulator yourself).

Sugar-on-a-stick means actually rebooting your computer to use Linux,
Sugar and the applications. This has several complications since there
is a lot of variation on how systems can boot and what hardware drivers
Linux needs to have (for the simulated PC route, the drivers only need
to understand the simulated peripheral devices, not the ones in the
actual computer). In the Squeak world we have a project called SqueakNOS
which can boot directly on bare PC hardware (though it still needs to
simulate the different processor of the VM) and it has all the
complications of Sugar-on-a-stick (even more - at least Linux has been
around for 18 years and lots of people have added drivers to it).

I hope I have not made things even more confusing. There are several
ways to combine Squeak, Sugar, the various operating systems and
simulators. But the Squeak specific solution of Etoys-to-go can't be
used directly for any other Sugar application.

-- Jecel