[squeakland] Horizontal Grid and Dot Table Artifact Comments

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Wed Jun 2 16:06:04 EDT 2010

Hilaire,

Thank you for sharing these and rendering them within Etoys.  Some thoughts.

   1. Instead of the die category attribute "dotColor" what about
   "dotPlayer"
      1. Then kids could make Table with whatever graphic interests them
   2. When I resize a "Dot in Table" the box around the dots, changes in
   size, but the dots do not move and if you make the box smaller than the area
   filled by the dots, some of the dots appear outside the box.
      1. If you change the scale of "Dot in Table" (Ex: to 2.0) it does not
      behave as described above, but changes size
   3. Change the name to "Dot Table" no need for "in" (actually would want
   to think about this some more as to what would be an appropriate name in
   English
   4. Not sure how you designed this, but what about using a Holder as the
   "container" for the dots (or as I would prefer players. This provides a lot
   more flexibility and IMO better metaphors/ideas to play with.  As has been
   mentioned by Subbu and others, the Holder is great for exploring factoring
   et al.
   5. I would also add a 2nd player variable so that this one object could
   be used to show fractions/ratios
      1. I would attach a project  showing what I am thinking about.
      Unfortunately I can't post this to Squeakland at this time (or anything
      else, but Tim emailed me and is working on it so hopefully that
issue will
      be resolved soon) and the mailing list will not allow me to
attach the file.

If you made the above changes you could really combine the two artifacts
into one.

Many thanks to Randy for posting a project (Die
Roll)<http://www.squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=10016> on
Squeakland so that those of us who are not familiar with the Smalltalk tools
and how to load the latest versions  can play with these things.

Stephen