[squeakland] Need Help

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Sat Jun 12 23:41:15 EDT 2010

Carlos,

I tried the same thing, below is a copy of the conversation on Etoys Dev
list.  If I resd this right it will work on Windows, but not on Mac and not
sure about XO.

The mechanism is to open a script, from the script menu switch to "show code
textually" o "monstrar codigo textualament"
and add : ScratchPlugin primOpenURL: 'http://squeakland.org/'

Read below and try it. I did open a ticket
http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-663 if you feel this is important
vote for it.

Stephen

*Steve Thomas <stevesargon at gmail.com>*

*Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM*

To: etoys-dev at squeakland.org

I discovered yet another fun new feature in Etoys:
When inside a "Text" object if you type <cmd>-6 (or for you windows folks
<ctrl>-6) you get some color options, plus: *be a web URL link*
*
*
Yet when I tried this, and clicked on the link, I two prompts:

   1. Prompt: Open a browser to view this URL? (then clicked on Yes, with
   great hope and anticipation)
   2. Prompt: There are no WebBrowser applications registered (Darn, yet
   another potentially cool feature, that doesn't work and disappoints me, IMO
   we really should clean these things up, so kids have a better experience and
   don't get frustrated)
   3. Prompt: View Web Page as source (this worked, but of limited utility,
   well my mind is not yet capable of figuring out a utility yet).

Thanks,
Stephen

------------------------------
*Steve Thomas <sthomas1 at gosargon.com>**Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 4:16 PM*
To: etoys-dev <etoys-dev at squeakland.org>
Okay, besides, my not being able to count to three ;)
FYI, the options that show up with <cmd-6> in a "Text" object are different
from those that show up in a "Scrolling Text" object.

Stephen
[Quoted text hidden]
------------------------------
*Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>**Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:44 PM*
To: etoys-dev <etoys-dev at squeakland.org>
[Quoted text hidden]
The internal web browser was removed, and the external web browser was not
hooked up yet to that mechanism. On Mac and Windows the following should
work nowadays:

ScratchPlugin primOpenURL: 'http://squeakland.org/'

but it does nothing on Linux IIRC.

If you are interested in this feature, please open a ticket.

- Bert -

------------------------------
*Steve Thomas <sthomas1 at gosargon.com>**Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:46 AM*
To: Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
Cc: etoys-dev <etoys-dev at squeakland.org>
Bert,

Thanks, I was able to get it to work by putting:

> ScratchPlugin primOpenURL: 'http://squeakland.org/'

into a Text box, then <cmd-6> and "Do it"

Then I tried to put it into a script by opening an empty script and the
"show textual code" and placing " ScratchPlugin primOpenURL: '
http://squeakland.org/'  (Used my blog post URL instead)

When I clicked on the exclamation point to run it once, well, I wound up
improving my Google Analytics by 3,300% before I had to Force Quit Etoys to
stop it opening pages.  It seems it just kept opening the URL over and over.

I entered a ticket as you suggested, but how can I safely create a script to
open a URL in an external Web Browser?  A sample project would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen

[Quoted text hidden]

------------------------------
*Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>**Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:35 AM*
To: etoys-dev dev <etoys-dev at squeakland.org>
On 10.02.2010, at 21:46, Steve Thomas wrote:

Bert,

Thanks, I was able to get it to work by putting:

> ScratchPlugin primOpenURL: 'http://squeakland.org/'

into a Text box, then <cmd-6> and "Do it"

Then I tried to put it into a script by opening an empty script and the
"show textual code" and placing " ScratchPlugin primOpenURL: '
http://squeakland.org/'  (Used my blog post URL instead)

When I clicked on the exclamation point to run it once, well, I wound up
improving my Google Analytics by 3,300% before I had to Force Quit Etoys to
stop it opening pages.  It seems it just kept opening the URL over and over.

I entered a ticket as you suggested, but how can I safely create a script to
open a URL in an external Web Browser?  A sample project would be much
appreciated.

Wow! Now that is an interesting bug. I have no idea what happened there. I'd
suspect a bug in the ScratchPlugin. Had to kill my Etoys too.

I assume you are on a Mac - can someone confirm this happens on other
platforms, too?

- Bert -

------------------------------
*Ricardo Moran <richi.moran at gmail.com>**Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:00 AM*
To: Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
Cc: etoys-dev dev <etoys-dev at squeakland.org>
It works fine in windows xp

[Quoted text hidden]

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Carlos Rabassa <carnen at mac.com> wrote:

> Someone asked us how to include in an Etoys book a link to a website.

> I don´t know the answer.

> Could someone help us?

> Thanks!!

> Carlos Rabassa