[squeakland] Re: New tiles "Say/Think" tiles

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Sat Jun 19 01:09:56 EDT 2010

Ricardo,

While playing with say/think and the speech bubble I noticed:

   1. If you make a copy of a speech bubble, then try and resize the copy
   you get some strange behavior.
   2. In the scripting tiles for say and think there is a green arrow at the
   end of "arg" (this is only in the viewer, it disapears when you drag into a
   Script Editor
   3. There is bubble help for "reginald's bubble" but it is blank. there is
   no bubble help for say or think
   4. I dragged two say tiles into a script and got Etoys "hung", not even
   CMD-. saved me ;)
   5. If I create a script to say "Thanks Ricardo" execute it, move the
   bubble then execute the script again, the bubble stays in the same spot. But
   if I change the text in the scripting tile to "Thanks" and execute it, the
   bubble moves.
   6. The setting of the bubble's X and Y in the script seems to behave
   strangely (done by dragging Reginald's X and Y into the Script Editor, then
   dragging the "reginald's bubble" tile to replace "reginald" in the scripting
   tile.:
      1. If I increase X by 50 and run the script it seems to have no
      effect. But if I run the script again it moves (may be related
to 5 in that
      if I change the text and run again it has no effect).
   7. The "Speech Bubble" has "bubble" category in the viewer, which has:
      1. "attach to | punto" (which attaches it to a dot, which is hidden in
      the upper left).  Is this meant to allow setting of the
attachment point? I
      was able to change it to attach to another object in a script.
      2. "stop attaching" - which lets you move the graphic, w/o having the
      "Speech Bubble" move.  But once you stop attaching, how do you
"re-attach"
      to the graphic?

Perhaps, having a "bubble tail" length and "bubble tail" angle, would work.
To allow the positioning of the Speech Bubble.  You could also have an
"Offset x" and "Offset y" to modify the default attachment point.

All that said I think I am leaning toward the simple Say and think, which I
think are great additions in and of themselves without the extras.

Stephen