[squeakland] Thoughts on Assessment

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Tue Jun 22 04:37:28 EDT 2010

Hi,

On 05/31/2010 07:54 AM, Steve Thomas wrote:
> Assessment is a tough problem.  I share the frustrations with the
> current forms of assessment (especially in Math) that others have
> expressed. While I am constantly assessing while teaching (as I am
> sure you are too) it is not in a way that produces evidence that could
> be used to facilitate appropriate comparisons.
>
> While I have many problems with assessment, I fear "its the worst form
> of figuring out what works, except for all the others"
>
> The problem, to quote Peter Drucker "if you can't measure it, you
> can't manage it"
>
> Society (ie: people, parents, politicians, school board members, even
> teachers) need to have a way of knowing how well their kids are
> learning and I would argue that they are right to demand it.  The
> challenge for educators (and it is in no way an easy one, otherwise it
> would have been solved already) is to come up with an appropriate way
> to measure.
>
> The folks at CRESST (well actually I only know of the work I saw by
> Greg Chung, which I saw at G4L, the following is my limited
> understanding of what they are trying to do) have a potentially
> interesting approach where they set up environments (where they design
> in from the beginning methods of assessment) that records "events"
> (actions taken by the kids within a given "micro-world") then use
> those events to analyze understanding and what works and what doesn't
> work.
>
> I would expect in the future they will take those events in real time,
> analyze them and provide feedback to the micro-world (thus to the
> user) to  facilitate a customized learning environment (like
> customized search) based on what works (and yes what works can differ,
> just as customized search differs).
>
> Stephen
>

> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Avigail Snir <avigail at snir.org
> <mailto:avigail at snir.org>> wrote:
>
>     And we can probably repeat word by word when speaking about
>     current and future attempts to introduce Etoys into school life.
>
>     I wish our society will not be as obsessed about standard
>     measuring as a way to define accountability and evaluate
>     achievements. I feel it is counterproductive.

Now that I'm catching up with community, this reading on assessment
comes just when I have read the discussion on ranking in Squeakland
showcase. Measure as a management problem can be close to measure as
control. We, as an occidental culture, are obsessed with control, and
that remembers me an article of Tom DeMarco: "software engineering is an
idea whose time has come and gone" at http://ur1.ca/7l3p His point is
that if you have to control closely things where the proportion between
resources and return value is tight. If you have a budget of $10.000 and
a return of $11.000, you need to control excessively, but if you have a
budget of 10.000 and a return of $100.000 you can be more relaxed on
control. So the question of DeMarco is: ¿if you're too much focused on
control, why on earth are you involved on project with so low return
value? His conclusion, which I share, is that we will focus on projects
that deliver transformation for the world, enterprise, institution. And
that change of focus could take us from quantitative to qualitative. For
me the big question is "how I can change the education so it can change
the world?" and smaller ones are "how to change my educative practice so
it can deliver future changes?". Most of them are configured in extra
academic places. So class is a place where I can made smaller changes,
for example in the aesthetic experience of "making the class", so,
"some", students can find a place (mostly extra-class) to ask themselves
about that changes, what is behind and how design and be part of them.
We're now making small steps, but microchanges create macro-behaviors,
as Schelling probed which lead us to what I call the "Hope Corollary":
"To change the world you don't need to change it all, just change
someone who changes someone else, keep that way, and iterate" :-)

Cheers,

Offray