[squeakland] Re: [etoys-dev] Re: [JIRA] Commented: (SQ-682) 'forward by' when snap to grid is true move one gridspace forward.

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Mon Mar 22 13:37:44 EDT 2010

There are other ways to accomplish the same tasks (ie: move "forward" one
grid space et al) without being able to specify movement in "grid units"
(ie: move forward grid size).

What exactly is the problem we are trying to solve?

Randy did a beautiful example of moving across a grid in his Lesson
7<http://www.pcs.cnu.edu/~rcaton/SqueakCourseware/mathematics.html>
showing
how moving across a grid can be used to measure area. In fact I believe he
did it without using gridding.

Now one thing I have been struggling with is how to measure perimeter. I saw
Randy do it using Polygons.

But not sure how to do it when placing Squares in a Playfield to create a
shape.
Any suggestions or a script would be appreciated.

Stephen