[squeakland] Re: [etoys-dev] Re: [JIRA] Commented: (SQ-682) 'forward by' when snap to grid is true move one gridspace forward.

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 14:59:16 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Steve Thomas <sthomas1 at gosargon.com> wrote:
> There are other ways to accomplish the same tasks (ie: move "forward" one
> grid space et al) without being able to specify movement in "grid units"
> (ie: move forward grid size).
> What exactly is the problem we are trying to solve?

Movement of players now are pretty abstract and measuring area is awkward.
A pixel is kind  of a weird unit and being able to use others would be nice.
I suggest that we could change the behavior of forward based on the grid
of the playfield.
If the grid is 200 by 200 units a step forward would be 1/200 th

I made a snake game project that use a grid and liked the simplicity it gave in
dealing with area and movement in turtle graphic.
By using smaller units it's also easier for younger kids to deal with the
numbers when the numbers are in in range up to 10 or 20 instead of 200 or 500.

DrGeo solves many of these issues though with distance, perimeter and area etc.

Karl