[squeakland] Using a Smart Board with Etoys

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri May 21 05:41:43 EDT 2010

On 21.05.2010, at 09:46, Steve Thomas wrote:
> Folks,
>
> During the meeting today we talked about using Smart Boards with Etoys and the "problem with no right click" (ie: how do you get to the Halo)
>
> Not sure which "Smart Board" you were talking (or what the multiple versions/manufacturers are) but I found this: http://www2.smarttech.com/kbdoc/190
>
> Which indicates a SMART BoardTM Software Version 8.1.3 Introduces Touch Gestures
> and it discusses how to right click.
>
> Also I tried the SmartBoard at work and I can right-click.
>
> Stephen

Yes, that should work with Etoys too.

The same issue occurs on other touch devices. I made an Etoys app for the iPad / iPhone with a simulated "Cmd" button in one screen corner, which makes it usable, but is no substitute for a real touch interface:

Something like this could even be made to work with a single-touch device. Tapping that button would "spring-load" it, so the next tap somewhere else would bring up the halo ... That might make Etoys almost usable with e.g. very cheap Wiimote IR pens. There still are a few places that rely on mouse-over movement events which touch devices normally do not support.

- Bert -