[squeakland] Artifacts in ObjectCatalog

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sun May 30 14:22:57 EDT 2010

On Sunday, May 30, 2010 10:14:13 am Steve Thomas wrote:
> This is the second time you have referenced "seed arithmetic" and both uses
> you mentioned provide very good metaphors to think about mathematics.
>
> Is there any good references on the various "seed games" I can look at?
Apologies, Steve. I am not aware of any book exploring such games. These are
handed down orally over the generations, like folklore. Interest in these
recording these games waxes and wanes [1].

Math was not always as hallowed in curriculum as it is today. It was something
that was "caught" but not "taught". The primary motive behind these games is
"just fun". Math just happens to be part of it.

[1]
http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/mobile.aspx?article=yes&pageid=6&edlabel=TOIBG&mydateHid=30-05-2010&pubname=&edname=&articleid=Ar00600&format=&publabel=TOI

Subbu