[squeakland] Questions on Kedama

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Sun Nov 28 19:56:23 EST 2010

Yoshiki,

I am working on having my son use kedama to model chemical reactions (in
particular model varying concentrations of vinegar in a solution and how it
affects the rate of dissolving of Tums).  So this has provided the incentive
to really learn Kedama.

   1. What is the execution model of Kedama.  I ask because:
      1. I tried creating an epidemic using a PDF of yours I found (later
      realized this was an older version and incorrect) but it had be call an
      infect script (which turned out not to work, I needed to inline
the infect
      script tiles into a test in the setup script.
      2. I saw in your project: Particles
Epidemic<http://www.squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=7431>
       that the "oneStep" script had:
         1. a set of "Test" tiles that all did the same "test"
         <villager's:isinfected>
         2. a tile to that set KedamWorld's:infectedCount<-0
      2. So in Kedama, does it execute each tile for ALL Turtles at the same
   time, then execute the next tile for all turtles? This would explain (at
   least in my limited mental model of how Kedama works) as to why you can
   set KedamWorld's:infectedCount<-0 each time.
   3. Is there any problem if the "oneStep" script is modified to use only
   one test (See attached)
   4. Also In the attached project I point to the set of tiles that were in
   the earlier PDF in a script, why can't we do this? If my assumption in #2 is
   correct, that would explain why this does not work.

Also, in what ways (if any) is the execution model of Kedama different from
the execution model in Etoys? (realize this is a broad question, but any
information that you think may be important would be appreciated).

Thanks,
Stephen