[squeakland] weekly wow improvements

Timothy Falconer teefal at waveplace.org
Mon Oct 11 08:39:39 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

This morning I put a few hours in on SQ-729 ... "go back in history when there's no wow for the week".

Last week, the wow was an article from the website, which shouldn't happen.  I've added extra checks to make sure the article-not-project thing can't happen again. I've also made it so that it'll go back in time if there's no ranked wow from the previous week, which means older projects will be highlighted.

For the curious, last week's error was due to two things:  first, there were no ranked articles for the previous week, and second, I must have made a faulty assumption months and months back where I set all article points to 1, even one's without a project attached.

Also for the curious, the weekly wow algorithm is now:

1. START = two monday's ago
2. find a ranked project from the week starting on START
3. has this been a weekly wow before?  if so, then ignore
4. if none found, START = a week earlier
5. goto 2 until it fails 10 times (ie, before sep 2009)
6. if it failed, don't send a weekly wow

Anyway, we'll know if this actually works in three hours when the wow's get sent.

Take care,
Tim

--
Timothy Falconer