[squeakland] [Sur] Reproducir videos - Etoys

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Oct 11 17:46:36 EDT 2010

(I'm copying olpc-devel because this is more of a packaging issue than an etoys specific one)

On 11.10.2010, at 07:03, Carlos Rabassa wrote:

> To Squeakland:
>
> Translation of portions referring to Squeakland / Etoys of a message from Paolo Benini,  posted in OLPC-Sur a very active forum with many users in Latin America:
>

> On Oct 11, 2010, at 6:59 AM, nanonano at mediagala.com [Paolo Benini] wrote:
>

> Luis Galindo wrote:
>
> We should be able to include video (MPG) and audio (MP3).
>

> [and Paolo replies]
> As far as MP3s and Etoys,  I understand the first version that arrived in Uruguay was able to reproduce the MP3s.
>
> Later on,  a new version of Etoys didn´t have this option [The mp3 format is not free software].
>
> But later on they put again in the XOs an Etoys that does reproduce MP3.
>
> ---------------
>
> Talking of Etoys 4:
>
> Version 4 was released a year ago.
>
> The version for the XO has not been published yet.

This is not true. It has been published a year ago as well, as part of Sugar 0.88.

> (There are versions for Linux, Macintosh and Windows).
>
> Yes,  I already know, a few will think: "this email list is not Squeakland´s.  Ask them."
>

> But I already did ask and received no response.
>
> The Etoys version that may be downloaded from Sugarlabs is v113,  which corresponds to Etoys 3.

No. The activity version has little to do with the Etoys version. Whatever Etoys is installed in your operating system will be used by the Etoys activity. The activity you download from the Sugarlabs Activities site is only a launcher for the actual Etoys.

> We already have. at RAP-CEIBAL,  several translated [to Spanish] tutorial videos for Etoys 4.
>
> But we have not been able to publish them yet because so far, Etoys 4 still works only with Windows, Mac and Linux but not in the XOs.

Both Etoys 4 and Etoys 4.1 work fine on the XO. But the "activity version" is not the same as the "etoys version". Etoys is part of Sugar itself, it is only presented as an activity. If you read the Etoys activity download page carefully, it even says so ;)

If you install a new version of Sugar, you will get a new Etoys. For example, Sugar 0.90 includes Etoys 4.1.

You could also upgrade Etoys separately from Sugar. Etoys 4.1 works on all Sugar versions since 0.82. But this is not just a simple activity download, so we do not advice students to do that on their own.

> ---------
>
> Note from the translator:
>
> A few moments ago we told Paolo and all others in OLPC-Sur,  the latest version of Etoys is Etoys 4.1 released less than one month ago and available at
>
> http://squeakland.org/download/
>

> I have a question of my own:
>
> I have downloaded from that page Etoys-To-Go.
>
> I found it to work perfectly in Macintosh and Windows computers,  without doing any installation.
>
> It allows the user to download to a pendrive and use Etoys 4.1 wihtout any installation process in any computer,  start working,  save work in progress and finish the work in another computer with a different operating system.
>

> My question:
>
> Will it work this same way in a XO??

You could plug it in and run from the Terminal command line. However, then you would not be able to save to the Journal, because Etoys would run as regular Linux application, not as Sugar activity.

Sugar cannot use an activity that is on a pendrive, it can only install it by copying to the XO. But installing Etoys 4.1 as is would take up more than 90 MB of additional space, which is not a good idea on the small space the XO has.

So IMHO the only good way to get Etoys 4.1 onto the XOs in Uruguay would be if someone packaged it by leaving out the non-needed translations to get the package size down, and then putting it into a new operating system image. This then should take about the same space as Etoys 4 which only had the English content.

- Bert -