[squeakland] Lino Bessonart and María Mendez presenting Etoys to a sold out crowd today

Carlos Rabassa carnen at mac.com
Sat Oct 16 08:36:35 EDT 2010

Kathleen,

I agree with your comment.

May I take advantage of it to correct a big translation error in my previous message.

I wanted to put something nice and impacting as a subject.

Yesterday I received a notification to the effect that today´s event in Montevideo,  where Lino and María will have Etoys sessions,  is sold out.

So at the last minute I added "sold out" intending these two words as a qualifier for today´s event.

But the way it ended up it sounds like if the crowd they will address had sold out its soul to some special interest group!

Italians say

"Traduttore traditore" or "Translator [is a] traitor"

Google automatic translators are great but,  we have to handle them with extreme care or they become traitors.

Unfortunately they cannot handle text coming directly from the heart.

Lino´s comment is so good because you, me and probably all who read it had the feeling it came straight out of his heart.

But for Google to handle it automatically,  you have to cut it in small pieces,  otherwise the meaning may change completely.

Carlos Rabassa
Volunteer
Plan Ceibal Support Network
Montevideo, Uruguay