[squeakland] Translating with internet's help

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Sep 11 09:24:26 EDT 2010

(I am copying the localization mailing list to check if my answers are correct - it would be a good idea to subscribe to that if you work on translations)

On 11.09.2010, at 14:02, Carlos Rabassa wrote:

> Bert,
>
> thanks for bringing this subject back to our attention.
>
> I just translated about ten words to Spanish:

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/es/etoys_new/

Awesome!

> Is it too much if I ask you to take a look at your earliest convenience and confirm I am following the right procedure.
>
> I am not confident at all using the page.
>
> It would be sad to put some effort and its going to waste because I did something wrong.
>
> Last time I tried I abandoned after getting quite confused.
>
> Today,  just the opposite,  it looks too easy to be true.

It is supposed to be simple, so that even non-technical people can contribute translations. Glad it is working :)

> It lets me write what I want and apparently saves it automatically.
>
> Looks like I am permanently logged in.
>
> I am afraid if I log out I will not be able to get back in.

I guess you registered some time ago. There certainly would be a way to recover you password if you forgot it.

> At no point was I asked to save anything.

"Submit" saves automatically. But this does not get pushed into Etoys yet. A "language admin" needs to "commit" the changes, then they will appear in the next Etoys release.

I think the "Commit Status" column is supposed to show uncommitted edits, but it's all green at the moment. I guess that is broken. But don't worry, if you notify the localization list that you translated something, someone else can commit.

> What happens with these words I did,  can someone else come in half an hour later and change everything I did?

Yes. It is similar to a wiki in that respect.

> Looks like they will not be offered for translation after I do them.

That depends where you click. If you click the "123 words need attention" then only the untranslated strings are shown. If you click the "Category.po" link on the left, all translations can be changed.

> I used three buttons,  I hope I am doing it right:
>
> SUBMIT when I am confident I wrote the correct translation.
>
> SUGGEST if I wrote something but not quite sure about my translation.
>
> SKIP to do just that,  do not translate and go to the next one without wasting time.

This sounds almost right to me. Since you are one of the translators, you should only use "SUBMIT" and "SKIP". If you are unsure about a translation, click the "FUZZY" checkbox.

The "SUGGEST" button is for non-registered translators: everyone can suggest, but not everyone can submit.

> I imagine this is the most effective way of doing this job,  translating isolated words.
>
> Of course having the word completely out of the context in which it is used doesn´t allow the translator to have much confidence in his own translation.

That is true. It helps a bit that we now have multiple .po files, and also you see a comment which indicates the class and method which uses this phrase.

> Thanks for any comments.
>
> In the meantime I will continue doing more words.
>
> Have a great day!
>
> Carlos Rabassa
> Volunteer
> Plan Ceibal Support Network
> Montevideo, Uruguay

Thank you so much! I'm forwarding a message I sent to the translators a few days ago, suggesting the most important things to translate first.

- Bert -

Begin forwarded message: