[squeakland] Translating with internet's help

Markus Schlager m.slg at gmx.de
Sat Sep 11 17:18:26 EDT 2010

Hi Carlos,

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> (I am copying the localization mailing list to check if my answers are correct - it would be a good idea to subscribe to that if you work on translations)

>> I imagine this is the most effective way of doing this job,  translating isolated words.
>>
>> Of course having the word completely out of the context in which it is used doesn´t allow the translator to have much confidence in his own translation.
>
> That is true. It helps a bit that we now have multiple .po files, and also you see a comment which indicates the class and method which uses this phrase.

These comments are very useful, indeed. While translating I usually have
Etoys running as well, always looking for what I'm translating at the
moment, checking it out, using the classes. If it's not obvious, how to
find it in the object catalog or the user interface, I turn of the
etoyfriendly mode, thus I can open a system browser and find the classes
and methods. Also, some of the etoys-tiles are not visible in etoyfriendly
mode.

And if I absolutely don't understand what something is about, I ask Bert
:)

Markus