[squeakland] Etoys 4.1 Release Candidate 1

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Sep 12 11:41:43 EDT 2010

Hi all,

we are getting really close to this year's Etoys release. I'm copying more mailing lists than usual in hope to get some more testers :)

Here is the first release candidate (scroll down to "release candidates"):

	http://squeakland.org/download/

There is a Mac installer already, and a To-Go version that works without installing on Mac, Linux, and Windows. A real Windows installer will follow, as well as a release for OLPC/Sugar.

Draft release notes are at

	http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/Etoys+4.1+Release+Notes

If you find problems, please report them in our tracker, or by replying to this mail.

	http://tracker.squeakland.org/

We are in code freeze now, only severe bugs will be touched.

Translations can still be updated before Sep 25 - help welcome:

	http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/etoys_new/

The final release is scheduled for Sep 29.

For the list of changes, see below.

Thank you!

- Bert -

Changes since the beta release:

* pop-up arrows now enabled by default
* new DrGeo examples project (see gallery)
* new home project (green border more visible)
* Demon Castle renamed to Etoys Castle and fixed
* revised guides for English and Spanish
* DrGeoII translations for es,fr,ja,de
* updated German and Japanese translations
* removed languages with too few translations (ar_SY, en_GB, km, pap, pl, zh_TW)
* hide distracting/not-functional preference panel buttons
* allow negative timer values
* shared flaps are not destroyed anymore when switching projects
* various smaller fixes