[squeakland] Pervasive sound reverb when Etoys plays audio clips

Mike Lee mikelee at laptop.org
Mon Sep 13 23:46:21 EDT 2010

Hi,

I've just finished a prototype of a Bemba letter board where I've imported
and scripted AIFF sound clips to play under mouseDown for each letter. This
is for the Gates Foundation funded Lubuto Library Zambian Language Literacy
Programming Project, which is using Etoys exclusively:

http://www.eifl.net:8080/gallery2/v/plip_001/Lubuto+eIFL_net+PLIP+Project/

Though my source audio is very crisp and clear, the audio plays back in
Etoys with reverb on OLPC XO, Mac and Windows PC. Checking some other Etoys
files with sounds, I notice that reverb is prevalent. I had just assumed
before that there was some quirky reason those files were authored that way.
Here is the second alpha of my project:

http://squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=10270

And how I scripted each button:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/4985274660/in/set-72157624752133309/

Can anyone tell me how to turn off the reverb?

Curiously, when I loaded my file into Bert's experimental Etoys for iPad,
the sounds played without reverb.

Mike