[squeakland] problem with location of Etoys players

Louis LaBrunda Lou at LaBrunda.Info
Fri Sep 24 13:59:40 EDT 2010

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the help.

>Are you sure the blob of tomato sauce is embedded in the playfield?  To get
>the blob's halo then click on the menu and select "embed..." from the list.
>The item highlighted in red will be the object it is embedded in.

The blob of sauce is embedded in the playfield.  The blob of sauce lives in
a holder.  It is embedded the playfield.  I make a copy of it each time a
blob of sauce is fired at the pizza.  When I check any of these copies,
they are also embedded in the playfield.

I have also seen some odd behavior with the movement of the fired blob of
sauce.  I was trying to make it take a saw edge path from the sauce can to
the pizza.  I started it off with a direction of 135 (moving from left to
right).  After moving 25 times, I would change the direction by -90 or 90
every other time.  When changing the direction by 90, the blob would jump
to a new location (down and back from where it was).  When changing by -90,
it would work fine.

Ordinarily I would think the problem would be with my code.  But I have
been programming in Smalltalk (VA Smalltalk) for many years and this code
is very simple, so it seems like something odd is going on.

I have dropped the saw pattern idea and adjusted the positions to work.  I
hard coded points where I was trying to use values from existing objects.
It works but it is not as general as I would like.  If I move anything, the
hard coded points have to be fixed.

Lou