[squeakland] [Newbies] Re: Randomness + Pause/Delay?

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Fri Apr 15 06:06:59 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> w=
rote:
> Constructing a complex tile in Etoys goes from the concrete to the more a=
bstract. You start giving specific instructions and then generalize.
> So at first,=A0you place that "Red | action" tile in your script. Then yo=
u can test if that is working.
> Later, you replace the "Red" receiver tile with the "AllPlayers |=A0playe=
r at cursor". You drag it from the viewer onto the "receiver pad" of the=A0=
"Red | action" tile.
> This "outside-in" construction of complex tiles works naturally when you =
"invent" the script=A0yourself step-by-step by experimenting. When you only=
 see the result, it can be perplexing how to construct it. The sequence is =
executed from left to right, but made from right to the left. That's why fo=
r arithmetic expressions there is the little "extend" arrow to the right (b=
ut you still need to build nested expressions outside-in).

This outside-in method, as well as the ability to send a message to
all players in a collection, are important tools for advanced tile
scripts. Do we have a
tutorial covering this in the Squeakland documentation? If not, I
suggest we use Bert's scripts and explanation as the basis for the
first draft.

David