[squeakland] a school is not a building

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Thu Apr 21 22:00:35 EDT 2011

Hi,

I don't know if Timothy is still working on this, but there are critical
texts about Schools and its role in society. One of the seminal and more
strong critics is from Ivan Illich and his "Sociedad Desescolarizada" (I
have only read him in Spanish) and a more conciliatory view of classroom
as simulations of communities of practice can be found in Gavriel
Salomon's Distributed Cognitions. The advantage of the Communities of
Practice point of view is that classroom can be simulations but they
happen everywhere outside the classroom, as cooking in the Timothy's
example.

Cheers,

Offray