[squeakland] Bananas in a Box questions

Rita Freudenberg rita at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Aug 25 13:13:13 EDT 2011

Am 25.08.2011 um 17:54 schrieb R.D. Latimer:

> Hi, I'm new to Etoys. We're implementing this fall in an elementary school in Fairfax County VA.  I'm running the Bananas In A Box program for kindergarten by Kathleen Harness.
> The bananas spin around according to their scripts
> Banana Forward by 12, Banana turn by 4
>
> When they get into the box, a counter should increment.
> This part I'm unsure how to do.
>
> Box has a field called "count" under the "collections" field.  I don't see how to increment this.
> So I created a variable for Box called "counter".
> I create a script within, or coming from, the Box viewer:
> Test: if Box's color sees yellow (of the banana), increment my variable counter by 1.
>
> I run the 'all scripts' box, but this new 'incrementer' script from Box is not included. Only the banana scripts are in the 'all scripts' box.
> So the counter variable script does not run when a banana goes into the box.

Hi Randy,

if I understand correctly, you are saying, that "all scripts" isn't running all the scripts? To have a script get started with the "all scripts" button, this scripts needs to be in the state "paused". You can see a short info about this in the balloon-help, which appears, if you move the mouse over an object and wait a little.
To change the state of a script, click on the field on top of the scriptor (in the example below it says "normal". Click and hold, then you can change the state.