[squeakland] [IAEP] Plan Ceibal y/and General Electric

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 12:46:57 EST 2011

I agree.

But now we have to figure out how "to help the helpers", because besides wisdom,
many need much more knowledge than they have

Best wishes,

Alan

________________________________
From: K. K. Subramaniam <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com>
To: Alan Kay <alan.nemo at yahoo.com>
Cc: squeakland at squeakland.org; Chunka Mui <chunka.mui at devilsadvocategroup.com>;
voluntarios y administradores OLPC para usuarios docentes
<olpc-sur at lists.laptop.org>; "america-latina at squeakland.org"
<america-latina at squeakland.org>; Carlos Rabassa <carnen at mac.com>; Maho 2010
<maho at realness.org>; olpc bolivia <olpc-bolivia at lists.laptop.org>; OLPC Puno
<olpcpuno at gmail.com>
Sent: Sun, February 6, 2011 8:53:53 AM
Subject: Re: [squeakland] [IAEP] Plan Ceibal y/and General Electric

On Sunday 06 Feb 2011 8:13:55 pm Alan Kay wrote:
> I don't think of "teachers" or "teaching" as dirty words. And I don't
> separate  them by age group, profession, or whether parents or not. (Do I
> have to say that good teachers facilitate learning ....?)
Neither do I. The debate around good vs. bad teachers is a distraction that
gets us nowhere close to ensuring that all our students get education. The
real debate should be around empowerment of people who are assisting learners.
What we found is that teachers, even in crowded schools, were able to find
their own resources to ensure that their wards acquired basic skills.
Learning happens if we leave teaching to teachers.

Subbu