[squeakland] Etoys on an interactive whiteboard?

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Fri Feb 25 00:30:38 EST 2011

Can you help me set priorities for evaluating the possibility that a
future Etoys version could be adapted for interactive whiteboards?

In a few days time, I hope to get an hour in an empty classroom with
one of these boards. I imagine that some of the difficulties will be
similar to those Bert reported with touch screens. My plan is to use
the time to start drafting a list of interface changes that will be
needed before teachers and students can use Etoys comfortably on
whiteboards.

I will take Etoys to Go 4.1.1, and also
* Bert's image for iSqueak
http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/etoys-touch-image-100620.zip
* Steve's cuisenaire rods http://squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=10356
* Something with TweakUI, such as Croquet or Open Cobalt
(I will also take Sugar-on-a-Stick but I don't expect it to work, as
I'm told the Smartboard boards need a proprietary Windows driver.)

I will try out
* Halo buttons
* Paint
* Tile scripting controls
* Navigator bar

But I will also try to understand the whiteboard controls, as I have
never used one.

** What else would you like me to include in my tests? What is the
most important? **

My time is limited, so my tests will be brief, not thorough, and will
omit many of the things I want to try.

(I don't know who will design and implement the changes, but at least
a list is one useful step.)

Best, David