[squeakland] Playing musical notes

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Mon Jul 11 17:55:46 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM, karl ramberg <karlramberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:
>

>> On 11.07.2011, at 20:38, karl ramberg wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Steve Thomas <sthomas1 at gosargon.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to play "instruments" other than tones, similar to
>>> http://www.squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=7826?
>>>
>>> Ie: How can I specify an instrument?  I can load midi files, but would
>>> like to be able to do something similar to Scratch where I can specify the
>>> instrument. and then have a script "Play the notes"
>>>

>> It's all there under the hood waiting for someone to do the Etoys
>> interface...
>> Music gets quite technical fast and it's a big job getting the tools
>> right.
>>
>> A single tile added to the sound category to let you specify the
instrument would be great.

Optionally some way to add instruments if you have a midi file.

I would introduce this to kids without using the Score Player.  I would have
kids build their own score players where they place the "notes" onto a
playfield and the "?needle?" (That red line that moves across the piano
roll) is used to play the note as long as it overlaps it.  They could then
do as Bert suggested and create their own rondo's by turning off "fence
enabled" and having the "needle" wrap.

Stephen