[squeakland] Etoys Video's for Khan Academy

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 18:37:17 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 16:04, karl ramberg <karlramberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> The feeling of achievement is important and will help motivate students.
> In Etoys you have the full environment available at all time.
> It has a steep learning curve and quite error pron.

I have a page at Sugar Labs called The Undiscoverable, which mentions
Etoys but does not give many details. I would like help filling it in.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/The_Undiscoverable

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/The_Undiscoverable/Etoys

> To not pace out the way to use the system can demotivate and give students a
> hard time.
> It's a big project to make it seem like a game to unlock the secrets
> without crippling the system at the same time.

But totally worth the effort.

> Also to measure or give a
> test automatically of how much a student know or can solve problems is hard
> when the possible ways to solve problems are almost infinite. One goal of
> the system is to make it possible for students to be creative and find their
> own ways to solve problems.

You are asking for the solution to an undecidable problem.
Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations is devoted entirely to the
question, "How can we tell whether another person understands us?"
(Short answer: You can't, except to a very limited degree in very
limited  areas, and you have to make do with that. Longer answer, even
though in fewer words: We will be able to do this to a fair degree
when we solve Strong AI.)

Within the limits of what we can verify, we can do a much better job
than is conventionally attempted, but it will be quite difficult to
convince the political authorities and much of the populace of that
fact. Sometimes the problem is not with evidence, as in the case of
tests for creativity and for racism, which are well-established, but
not acceptable to the Religious Right, among others.

> Video lectures can be a nice way to introduce both easy parts and
> hard-to-discover parts of Etoys

+1